As of January 1, 2004, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) came into effect for all Canadian, non-public businesses. Under PIPEDA, personal information must be handled in accordance with the following 10 principles:
- Accountability - an officer(s) must be responsible for compliance with PIPEDA.
- Identifying the Purposes of Collection - before collection of personal information, the reasons for doing so must be identified.
- Consent - consent to the use of personal information must generally be obtained before such use.
- Limits for Collection - collection of personal information is limited to information that is reasonably required.
- Limits for Using, Disclosing and Keeping Personal Information - personal information may only be used for the purpose for which it was collected, kept only as long as necessary to satisfy the purpose, and must be destroyed when no longer required.
- Accuracy - personal information should be kept up-to-date and accurate.
- Safeguarding - personal information must be protected against loss or theft, and safeguarded from unauthorized access.
- Openness- consumers must be informed of a company's privacy policies and practices, which must be understandable and easily available.
- Access - individuals must be given the opportunity to correct or amend their personal information and to know how and with whom their personal information was used.
- Complaints - companies must develop complaint procedures for responding to privacy inquiries and inform consumers of their ability to file grievances with the federal Privacy Commissioner or other agencies.
You have a right to know how Guildcrest Building Corporation (Guildcrest) collects, uses and discloses your personal information. You can also expect that Guildcrest will keep your personal information accurate, confidential and secure. We are providing the following to inform you of your rights under PIPEDA and to let you know that we will make every reasonable effort to ensure that your personal information remains personal.
The kinds of Information we collect
Some of the personal information we may collect includes your name, residence and mailing addresses, e-mail address, personal and business phone numbers, birth date, spouse's name and general information about your employment, income and financial status. We will also collect other information relevant to your purchase, such as personal preferences and choices related to your home.
How we use your Personal Information
Your personal information is collected and shared only as necessary to provide you with the very best product options, support and service. We will only collect and use information about you for the following purposes:
To respond to your request for information from us and, generally, to communicate with you.
- To provide you with products or services that are requested or that are part of the ongoing service provided to our customers.
- To give proper information to other parties who are involved in providing products or services related to your home, before, during and after the building of your home.
- To track the performance of your home after you move in.
- To survey you on your satisfaction with your purchase.
- To share your information within our company in order to improve the excellence of our homes and services, and to assess our marketing efforts.
- To comply with requests for disclosure, if required by law to do so.
By providing your information to us, you consent to these uses and disclosures.
We will obtain your consent before using your personal information for any other purpose.
Where we get your Personal Information
We get most of our information directly from you through electronic information requests you submit, registration forms, questionnaires and transaction documents, both online and offline. We may also get information about you from calls, letters, e-mail and other correspondence we have with you.
Guildcrest does not knowingly collect or maintain any personal information from children under the age of 13. If Guildcrest discovers that a child under the age of 13 has provided personally identifiable information to us, we will promptly remove that information from our files.
Who has access to your Personal Information
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal and/or provincial requirements to guard your personal information. We also restrict access to your personal information to those employees and agents who need to know such information.
Generally, Guildcrest will not collect or disclose your personal information without your consent.
However, we may share your information with other companies, which may or may not be affiliated with Guildcrest, if they support our efforts to provide you with products and/or services that are required to complete the purchase and construction of your home, or may be of interest to you.
Sometimes, we are required to disclose information about you to a regulatory authority, a government agency, a law enforcement agency or, pursuant to a court order, another third party.
We will not obtain your consent before providing your personal information in any of these circumstances. But, if we do provide your information to any party outside of Guildcrest, we will record each instance that a disclosure was made, including the pertinent facts of such disclosure, and, to the extent possible, we will require the recipient of your personal information to abide by the same privacy standards as indicated here.
Your Privacy and the Guildcrest Web Site
Guildcrest does not collect information on individuals visiting our web site, other than information you choose to submit to us through the web site, or provide via e-mail or any online surveys we may post from time to time.
Any personal information provided to Guildcrest is kept confidential and will be shared with others only in order to provide you with the information and/or services you requested in the most efficient and timely manner. For instance, Guildcrest may forward your e-mail to the Authorized Guildcrest builder in your area for follow-up.
Under no circumstance will the information collected from our web site be rented, sold or traded to others. Any information you provide to us is used only for the purposes of meeting your specific request.
Accuracy of your Personal Information
Your personal information should always be accurate. We try to keep all of your information current and complete. However, there may be circumstances that necessitate a change in your information. If you need to update your information or if you discover that your personal information is inaccurate, simply contact us at the telephone number or e-mail address noted below.
Access to your Personal Information
To receive and verify your personal information with Guildcrest, please call or e-mail us at the number or address noted below. Most personal information may be provided immediately upon request. In-depth information will be provided within 30 days of your request. The cost of retrieving in-depth information may be charged to you.
Withdrawal of Consent
You can refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, or withdraw your consent to our continued collection, use or disclosure at any time by contacting us at the telephone number or e-mail address indicated below. We may require you to complete a form documenting your request. Any refusal to, or withdrawal of, consent is subject to any applicable legal or contractual requirement. Any withdrawal of consent does not apply to information used under any agreement to provide goods and services or to information that must be collected and reported in accordance with provincial or federal requirements. Refusal or withdrawal of your consent may impact our ability to provide products and services to you, but will not result in unreasonable denial or limitation of such products or services.
If you have questions or are concerned
If you do not wish to be made aware of new programs and services provided by Guildcrest or do not want us to share information with external businesses performing work on our behalf, please write to us at:
P.O. Box 10, 20 Mill Street
Attention: Privacy Officer
Or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel that your concerns have not been adequately addressed, you may contact:
Federal Privacy Commissioner
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1H3
Toll Free: 800-282-1376